From Health Technology Assessment
Swine flu vaccination results in Lancet Infectious Diseases
Results from an NIHR Health Technology Assessment (HTA) programme H1N1 swine flu project published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, shows that the vaccination programme introduced in Scotland in October 2009 had a positive effect in reducing the number of hospital admissions and deaths. [more…]
Local news spotlight:
Mission possible – care pathways in Trafford’s pathfinder CCG
Trafford has set up a process to design care pathways, and implemented governance procedures so that the Map is a “business as usual” resource for local clinicians. The development of information specific to the area, along with the ease of access to this information, has been described as a smarter way of working which can only mean benefits for the public in the long term.
The ability to localise pathways has been extremely valuable to Trafford … Read full article>>
Also publishing local care maps on the Map of Medicine this month were:
Blackburn with Darwen, Derbyshire, Devon, Exeter, NHS East Lancashire, Leeds, Liverpool, North Devon, North Mersey, North Yorkshire & York, Peninsula, Plymouth, Southampton, South Devon, Sussex, Tees, Worcs, West Lancs CCG
BMJ 29 JUNE, 2012
STRUCTURE: The regional director of NHS North of England has warned of risks connected to the “long-term requirements” of the trust’s local population, in relation to its bid for foundation status.
Commissioners NHS Cheshire, Warrington and Wirral recently confirmed that they had decided to support an independent bid by East Cheshire to become a foundation trust.
• AQuA Holds Its Second Member Annual General Meeting
• AQuA At The NHS Confederation Event 2012
• AQuA & Manchester Mental Health & Social Care Trust Host Targeted Improvement Workshop In Manchester
• Mental Health AQuA Improvement Methodologies Course Is Launched
• Avoiding Unnecessary Hospital Admissions And Inappropriate A&E Attendances Of Children & Young People With Long Term Conditions
• National Shared Decision Making WebEx’s
• Health Foundation Opens Second Round Of Improvement Science Fellowships
• Reducing Mortality Programme
• IHI Open School Licences
• A New Role For Finance In Quality Improvement: Cohort 2
• Focus On Commissioning – New Programme
View the NICE pathways video to get an overview of the features and content within the site. More detailed information is in the NICE Pathways help.
NICE pathways is an interactive tool for anyone who needs help in a particular topic.
Article courtesy of via NICE Pathways.
Clinical guidelines and technology appraisals published in June by NICE
- CG141 Acute upper GI bleeding Clinical guidelines
- CG142 Autism in adults Clinical guidelines
- TA257 Breast cancer (metastatic hormone-receptor) – lapatinib and trastuzumab (with aromatase inhibitor) Technology appraisals
- IPG428 Extracorporeal membrane carbon dioxide removal Interventional procedures
- TA258 Lung cancer (non small cell, EGFR-TK mutation positive) – erlotinib (1st line) Technology appraisals
- TA260 Migraine (chronic) – botulinum toxin type A Technology appraisals
- TA259 Prostate cancer (metastatic, castration resistant) – abiraterone (following cytoxic therapy) Technology appraisals
- CG143 Sickle cell acute painful episode Clinical guidelines
- CG144 Venous thromboembolic diseases Clinical guidelines
to view any of the above please click here: NICE guidelines
- Confirmed pertussis cases in England and Wales: update to end May 2012
- Anthrax cases in Germany highlight continuing risk of severe infections in drug users
- New guidance on control of zoonotic infections at farm attractions