A letter to chief executives and directors of nursing:
- provides a reminder of the requirements already stated in the 2012/13 NHS Operating Framework
- presents a trajectory of growth in health visitor numbers to April 2015
- indicates the regional breakdown of target numbers, including planned training commissions for 2012/13 and 2013/14
- describes arrangements for delivery and assurance
- recommends preparation of documents containing local information about health visitor services – to help prepare for forthcoming changes in the way these services are commissioned
Read the letter
The Department is funding a four-year transformational programme of recruitment and retention, professional development and improved commissioning linked to public health improvement. This will secure a future health visiting service that is universal, energised and fit for long-term growth.
At the local level, health visiting teams will be able to provide parents with health and development advice, as well as help connect families to the range of health and wider community resources that supports children – giving them the best start in life.