OpenAthens, formerly NHS Athens, is an access management system provided by Eduserv, which enables eligible users to access the online content (see below). Registration for OpenAthens is free by going online and completing a simple form at https://register.athensams.net/nhs/nhseng/ It is best to register from an NHS computer and you will need to quote your NHS email address. Once this is done you will receive an activation email together with your username.
Your personal username and password will provide access to NICE Evidence Services (a suite of services that provide internet access to high quality authoritative evidence and best practice) formerly known as NHS Evidence. The services cover health, social care and public health evidence. Evidence Services aim to help professionals make better and quicker evidence based decisions. NICE Evidence Services consists of the following 6 resources
- Evidence Search which provides free open access to a unique index of selected and authoritative health and social care evidence-based information.
- Healthcare Database Advanced Search (HDAS), which provides access to an extensive set of journals and bibliographic databases. These are purchased by NICE on behalf of the NHS.
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries (CKS) which provide primary care practitioners with access to evidence-based guidance on over 300 key conditions presenting in primary care.
- BNF microsite which provides open access to BNF content across the UK.
- UK DUETS, a database of Evidence Uncertainties which provides research funders and researchers access to the ‘known unknowns’ in the evidence base.
- Bulletins, Alerts and Evidence Awareness service which helps busy professionals keep up to date with important new evidence.
If you need any assistance signing up for OpenAthens or using any of the NICE Evidence Services, please do not hesitate to contact any member of the Library staff.
01625661362 or email firstname.lastname@example.org