The number of district nurses in England fell by 39 per cent between 2002 and 2012, while preventable emergency admissions rose by 40 per cent over the same period.
Extract from RCN website
“Short sighted cuts to the nursing workforce are still taking place across the NHS despite being identified as an important factor in the catastrophic failings at Mid Staffordshire, according to the Royal College of Nursing (RCN).
Today the RCN urged the Government to take immediate action to tackle warning signs across the health service, including staff cuts, an ageing workforce, and soaring patient demand, which if ignored could be disastrous for the health service.”
Using NICE guidance and quality standards to improve practice
Click to read the full article
This guide aims to help and support health and social care provider organisations to implement National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidance and use NICE quality standards to achieve improved quality of care in their local settings. It aims to support health and social care professionals and managers in providing care of the highest quality and the best value for money. The guide suggests what an organisation can put in place, and what staff can do to use NICE evidence-based guidance and quality standards to improve practice.
The guide explains ways to assess the extent to which your organisation is implementing NICE guidance and using quality standards, and how to address any gaps if you find out it is not. It includes helpful tips, links to other resources and shared learning examples of ways other people have used NICE guidance and quality standards to improve the quality of health and social care.
Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
This report highlights systemic problems leading to missed opportunities to learn from mistakes and make NHS hospitals better. A 2012-13 analysis of the main reasons why patients, their families and carers brought their complaint to the ombudsman after their hospital has failed to deal with it include poor explanations, no acknowledgement of mistakes, inadequate financial remedy and unnecessary delays.
For all the topics below go to:
• AQuA and Greater Manchester Commissioning Support Unit (CSU) are real ‘Stars’!
• Deep Dive Into:
• Quality Improvement for Finance, Cohort 4
• Robert Francis master class
• AQuA’s Lean Network
• Hold the dates for September programmes
• AQuA’s Integrated Care poster wins prize at Berlin conference
• AQuA Team Challenge – Live Below the (Poverty) Line
• AQuA offers leadership coaching
• AQuA’s 2013-14 Work Programme now available
• Academic Health Science Networks evening seminar
• AQuA’s Annual General Meeting (AGM)
• Transforming Health & Care event
• Tweet all about it! Are you following AQuA on Twitter?
• Where there’s a will, there’s a way – Shared Decision Making case study
• Visit AQuA at this year’s NHS Confederation Conference and Exhibition
• How to be a more intelligent clinical commissioner