Our outreach librarians, Anne Webb (MDGH and Acute staff) and Steve Collman (Community based staff) are here to help you find and use the resources available to you. If you are unable to visit the library Anne and Steve are happy to visit your place of work
If you are looking for information, they are happy to help you, and can search the evidence, healthcare databases and journals to find publications for you. They can also train you how to use your Athens account to access online resources and healthcare databases.
Anne and Steve offer support with a range of activities such as literature reviews, research, education, professional and service development, evidence for patient information leaflets, journal clubs and more! Find out a bit more about our services here .
Did you know that Steve Collman, our Outreach Librarian for the Community is happy to take your questions on any aspect of literature searching. For instance:
- Do you know how to register for an Athens account?
- Would you like some help locating journal articles?
- Do you know where to find systematic reviews?
- Would you like some one to one support to find quality healthcare information?
So if you are based in the community please contact Steve in confidence by completing this form.
Carole Keeling one of our Outreach Librarians has put together a collection of articles of particular interest to Occupational Therapists.
Published in the form of an update, Carole is hoping to:
- bring together a range of recently-published research reports, articles and electronic resources to help OTs keep up-to-date with developments.
- remind readers of OT Update of the services available from the Staff Library Service – we can supply you with 1:1 or small group training in literature searching skills; obtain full-text articles for you; or provide services in literature searching to help you with your research tasks.
- respond to your information needs – if you have any suggestions on the type of information sources you would find helpful in future editions of OT Update, then please let us know.
Carole also offers similar updates for Dietetics staff and Speech and Language Therapists. If you haven’t received your ‘update’ via email already you can always request one by contacting Carole direct at firstname.lastname@example.org
Help with Athens
The Athens portal allows you to download the full text of articles, where the Trust has a subscription to the appropriate publisher. These are noted at the end of an abstract. You will need an Athens username and password to use the system, to register please log on to: https://register.athensams.net/nhs/nhseng/
If you are new to Athens and would like help in registering and starting to use Athens, please contact Carole Keeling (Outreach Librarian) who can come to your workplace and help you get started.
Please email email@example.com, or phone ext. 1547 to make an appointment – a 30 minute slot will get you up and running!